Things We Did On Our Daytona Beach Vacation

This post was moved from my old blog.  Circa 2009?

Last week my husband and I got away for a much needed vacation – just the two of us! Ahhhhhhhhh. There are several related posts to this, state parks, places we’ve eaten, etc. This post let’s you know about a few other attractions we visited and November is an awesome time to go.  It’s their slow season.  Streets were empty.  Shops were empty.  It was great!  Mind you, this was our 3rd trip to Daytona Beach. But on the other trips, we really didn’t get to see that much.

Our first trip was about – man! – it was about 10 years ago! At that time we went because we got an offer to check out a timeshare, and in exchange, we could stay as a guest for two nights. That visit we just went to the beach, a water park, rode some go-carts and played a few arcade games. That was at the Daytona Lagoon. Pretty cool place.

The second trip was a disaster! I had just gotten over a 2 1/2 month illness where I lost 35 pounds (that was worth it). Our youngest son had been pretty sick the week before. The morning we were getting ready for our trip, I thought my “illness” was coming back, so I brought Gatorade and bananas – what I’d been living on for 2 1/2 months. Why ruin the family trip when I couldn’t be confirmed (diagnosed) for a week? So off we go. We get to the hotel, and I’m not feeling any better what-so-ever, but our youngest was begging me to bring him downstairs to the beach. What kind of a mom would I be if I didn’t? Later that day, we decided to go see an animated movie that just came out – Cars. I explained to the ticket holder that my doctor instructed me to drink Gatorade (it explained why I was bringing it with me into the movies).  As we were watching the movie, our oldest son began visiting the restroom a lot. HE didn’t feel good. After the movie, we went back to the room. By that time I thought I had a fever and I crawled under the covers to die. We woke up around midnight to our eldest being REALLY sick. I felt awful. And then my husband said he didn’t feel so hot. We left Daytona at midnight. I feel really sorry for whoever got the room after us because we were contagious as all get out! It was like having E.coli (it was actually Shigella). Ended up bringing our son to the ER and admitting him. While he was settling in around 5am, I was checking myself back into the ER. It turned out we all had the same thing. It wasn’t a reoccurrence for me as I’d thought.  Moral of the story – we haven’t really had a chance to see Daytona! Haha. I just love sharing that story.

OK, we’re on our third trip. We have a whole week, just me and my husband. No kids. No dogs. We stayed at a resort that my husband’s employer has for his employees. While I was browsing the selection of brochures to create an itinerary, the guy at the desk suggested the Marine Science Center. I’ve always wanted to go to one, but I’m cheap and always hate to spend the money. They’re usually more expensive.  When the guy said that it was not-for-profit and it was really inexpensive, that sold me on it.

The tickets are only $5/adult. They’ve got a “touch tank” with sting rays in it. They’ve got fish tanks with beautiful fish in them that you’d only see if you were scuba diving, snorkeling, or had an exotic fish tank. They’ve got displays of turtles and displays on turtles. There’s a room they call the classroom, which has a couple of microscopes set up, some craft projects that students must do when they visit, and a 40 minute movie about the deep-sea. I’ve seen a lot of shows on TV about sea life, but I can honestly tell you that I’ve never seen some of those strange-looking creatures. You can also go outside and view their sea turtle ICU and view birds that they’re rehabilitating.

This handsome guy, Otus, is a permanent resident of the center. He’s a screech-owl. This is due from the poor handling of him by a human being in the past. The man who works at the center, brings him out daily to do a talk on owls to the visitors.  (image has been lost)


Another place we went to was the Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse. I swore after the last lighthouse I went up, that I wouldn’t climb anymore stairs.  But I did.  175 stairs.  I was flying solo.  My husband stayed on the ground due to a bad knee.  As most lighthouses, they’ve got outer buildings that you can also tour with artifacts and videos.  They’re in the middle of a rehab project as of this post.  Some images have been lost in conversion from the old blog to the new.






The last tour we took was at Angell and Phelps Chocolate Factory. This company has been in business for 80 years.  They offer free tours several times a day.  The tours last about 20 minutes.  They’ve got five display windows that you walk by as they explain the art of making candy.  At the end of the tour, you’re offered to taste any or as many candies as you’d like.    Besides the tour, they’ve got lots of candies available for purchase and a cafe adjacent to it.  The last thing I want to say about this is that their bathroom smells AWESOME!  It honestly didn’t have that much of a smell in the store section.  The bathroom must have a vent running from the factory!


Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: